Are you Motivated?
Posted on November 10 2014
TGIT... Thank God It's Today Are YOU Motivated... Or is that somebody else's job???
Does somebody have the ability, the power, to motivate you? The answer may surprise you.
For many years it was the general consensus that motivation was an external function. The truth is that motivation is an internal process.
Let me give you a few examples. 1.) An audience attends a college basketball game and the cheerleaders do an amazing "motivating" cheer. Yet, not everyone gets motivated by their cheering. 2.) You along with millions of other people watch a national telethon to raise money for a specific cause. Some people donate money; others do not.
Only you have the ability to motivate yourself. Others may inspire and empower you, but the choice to be motivated is up to you. We process information and determine whether or not we are going to do something based upon the knowledge we have acquired.
The two greatest and most powerful motivators, and the most common for all of us; are fear and desire. We generally do things for one of these reasons. We tend to do things based on either the rewards of success or the fear of failure.
Andrew Carnegie once said, "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents."
This is all about the way we see the world, The impact things have on us; and the choices we make. To some an event may be perceived as an opportunity; for others it may appear to be a threat.
Here are some action steps
- Stop waiting for someone, or something, to motivate you
- Get excited about having another day... every day
- Enthusiasm lights up a home, an office, a day, another person's life
- Become aware of whether you are fear or success oriented
- Look for and focus on the rewards of success
- Optimism is another word for positive motivation... be optimistic
- Let go of fear as a motivator... 95% of our fears are never realized
- Take responsibility for YOU
- Stop waiting for someone or something to make you happy
- Focus on and be grateful for what you have... rather than on what you wish you had
- Inspire and empower others to get motivated
Remember... Every day is a gift, and the quality of your life is your gift to yourself
By: Barry Gottlieb Author, Speaker,Trusted Advisor