TGIT... Thank God It's Today Volume #371 / December 29th, 2014
By: Barry Gottlieb, Author, Speaker, Trusted Advisor. New Year Resolutions Wishing vs. Goals... a Reminder2015... A new year filled with opportunities.
Now is the time to decide what kind of year you are going to have!
Believe it or not, most people will not make this choice. Not today, not tomorrow, not for the rest of the year. They will simply let life happen to them, rather than making it happen and living the life that they desire and deserve.
People everywhere talk about their New Year's resolutions. The truth is, for the vast majority of them they are talking about what they wish their year will be like. They wish and dream about the weight they want to lose, the job they want to have, the money they want to earn, the relationship they want to have... etc., etc.
The most common resolution focuses on changing the way you look. This is the time of year when health clubs attract the majority of their new members and the sale of diet books soar.
An astonishing fact is that most new members who join health clubs stop going within thirty days. Diets are started and stopped usually within the same time frame.
Turn Your Resolutions... Into Solutions A wish or a dream is the way you would like your life to be. A goal is what you intend to make happen!Clarity of purpose is one of the key ingredients to success, whether in business or in your personal life. If you truly would like to make your New Year's resolutions a reality, I strongly encourage you to write each one of them as a goal.
I have written about setting goals in past newsletters and in my books; and it is one of the most important seminars that I present to corporations. Quite simply, goal setting is one of the key foundations for success and happiness.
What follows are the key steps toward making your dreams and wishes become your reality.
Goal Setting Steps
- Goals should be clearly defined, written and specific. Write them as if they already exist. In other words, write them in the first person and in the present tense.
- Write down the obstacles that you will face and have to overcome in order to achieve your goals.
- Write down the resources that you will need to help you overcome these obstacles.
- Set a specific time frame.
- Define in writing what your first action step is going to be.
- Take action immediately!
- Create a method to measure the execution of your plan. What gets measured... gets done!
- Here is a brief video on Goal Setting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dLOap2HZEM
Happy 2015... I wish you a year filled with happiness and success!
Remember... Every day is a gift, and the quality of your life is your gift to yourself.